Monday, June 29, 2009

The Old, the sick and the sudden

I am sure that we have all heard that old adage that bad things happen in 3's. Well death, depending on how you look at it, is one of those bad things. The week of June 22, 2009 was an incredible example. Monday began with the death of Ed McMahon. At the time of his death he was 89 years old. Thursday the world woke up to the news that actress Farrah Fawcett had lost her 4 year battle with cancer. The world went to bed in shock at the sudden death of Michael Jackson.

These deaths have sent me into reminiscence mode. I grew up with these 3 souls having a tremendous impact on me. As a kid, I didn't get to watch much television, so it was a treat to be able to sneak late at night and watch the antics of Johnney Carson. I waited with baited breath to see how my ladies from 'Charlie's Angels' were going to crack the next case. I will admit that I wanted to be Sabrina Duncan (played by Kate Jackson). I thought she was brilliant. Who didn't have a favorite Michael Jackson song?

As the weeks have passed on since their deaths, I have had to take stock and examine each of their legacies. What gift has each person left to make this world a better place? I can only speak for me.

Ed McMahon has left me with the importance of laughter. One cant sleep on the fact that laughter is an integral part of life. I wish that more people would do it. Farrah Fawcett helped to teach me that women are more than just a pretty face. She taught me that we are smart, we are talented, we are multi-faceted, we are independent, we are strong, we are brave, and most importantly...we are love.

Michael Jackson taught me that God's gift to the world is music. I don't think that anyone has lived or will ever live that understood that better than he did. He had the ability to unite all people, all races, all religions...simply by sharing God's gift. It was all about the music.

I remember when I was a kid, my cousin Pebbles (Lisa) was beginning to take a deeper walk with God. To demonstrate to us mere mortals that she was serious about her new path, she decided that she was going to give up all of her love of "worldly music" including her almost obsessive love (my opinion) for Michael Jackson. I think most of us were happy for her new life, even if it was just to see her take those humongous Michael Jackson posters down from her wall. Pebble's took a giant step in her faith shortly after PYT began playing in regular rotation on the radio. I remember walking into her bedroom and watching her dance and sing... "I want to love you. PYT...Pretty Young Thing...And I'll take you there." She explained that she heard it and just couldn't help herself. There was just something about the music. She understood that God showed his love in every one of his creatures.


It was always funny when I heard folks that were older than me say, "Ya'll youngins dont know this or that...I ain't now like it was back then." The world lost some great people the week that was June 22, 2009. I'll have a good time telling the "young folks" what they've missed.

No comments: