Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Little Gems

Recently, I've noticed that my taste in pleasurable reading has changed. Usually I like to lose myself in a work of human drama. Fiction was the way for me to go. That was until I picked up A New Earth, This I Believe and This I Believe II. A New Earth was an Oprah Book Club selection, but I must have had the channel turned off the month she was featuring the book. Eckhart Tolle asks his ready to take a spiritual journey with him in this book. Now I know that you may be thinking, "Oh no, not another person telling me to let go and let God." Well not to worry, he doesn't do that in this one. He challenges us to let go and just be. Powerful, I know.

This I Believe and its II are short essays by extraordinary everyday people on the various things they believe about life. The essay compels readers to reevaluate how it is that they come to their own beliefs. Both books are provocative and refreshing. They are also a breath of fresh air.

I once heard a saying, that reading is the easiest way to give someone a new perspective. My little gems didn't fail to deliver.

No comments: