Tuesday, October 14, 2008

E-Mail Stress Disorder


I think I have it.

No I am serious. At 7 this morning I turned on my computer and logged into my email and noticed that I had 47 emails. OK, so 47 emails isn't really a large number...that is if 47 is the number you have gathered over the course of a few days. Of course, that wasn't the case with me. I checked my email just 6 hours previously and I had 0 emails in my inbox. Then I got sick to my stomach because I realized that I was checking my email at 1 o'clock in the morning.

Email is supposed to make life easier. It is supposed to make life more convenient. It is supposed to keep you in touch. How come I don't feel like that is the case?

So what is a person to do when you are feeling like you are overloaded with emails? I went to "the experts" (to be read the Internet). Here is what I found:
1. Filter for important email
2. Chunk email checking and responding times
3. Stop checking every minute

I surmise that the "experts" forgot #4, so I've added it to the list:
4. Don't be afraid to use the Delete button.

No comments: