Friday, April 18, 2008

Elvis has Left the Building

Pope Benedict XVI has left Washington, DC. Traffic has returned to normal (if there is such a thing in DC) and Metro isn't crowded in the middle of the day.

I'm not Catholic and I've never been one to be impressed with celebrity or famous people, but I have been following the media coverage of the Christian faith's equivalent of the Dali Lama. I just want to know why this mortal's visit to America is such a big deal. I've tried to get my Catholic (and non-Catholic) counterparts to explain it to me, but sigh...no such luck...I haven't gotten an answer that rests comfortably in my logic.

And then it hit me. Their explanations aren't supposed to sit well with me logically. The explanations should rest well with me emotionally. I am just supposed to be excited that they are excited. I am supposed to be happy that they have someone that they look up to. I am supposed to be happy that he came to be near them and to make them feel a little closer to God. I guess I can't be that annoyed by someone who is able to spread joy just by being. I wonder what this world would be like if we could all do that?

1 comment:

Michelle Sewell said...

I have never been able to wrap my mind or heart around a religion that sees me as a second class citizen. Not just the Catholic church but the many religions that are set in their patriarchal thinking. That women are somehow flawed or lacking.

That kind of religion can never get my full attention. Nowadays I work on my spirituality. I try to recognize the gifts that the universe has provided me and I go about the business of using those gifts to better the space I occupy.

I'm also glad the traffic is back to "normal"

Michelle