Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When You're Best Isn't Good Enough

For the last 3 days I have given my shoulder to a good friend of mine, so that she could cry on it. Like me she is driven. Like me she is hard working. Like me she dedicated. Like me she is principled. She comes in early and she stays late. She works on the weekends. She is a team player. 3 days ago she was told that she wasn't good enough. As could be expected, she was devastated. She was (and still is bewildered) hurt.

The explanation that she was given was the usual, "it's nothing personal, it's just business."

My question is this: is business an acceptable explanation for stomping on someones insides? Is business supposed to crush their world? My friend's situation got me to examine my own reactions when it comes to being told that I am not good enough. It made me see that my reactions run the gamut. I go from anger to disappointment. I experience sadness and self doubt. I feel rage and sometimes...relief. I have to hang on to The Good Book's saying that everything has a purpose and a season.

So Jessica (if you're reading this), just remember that the person who told you that "it was only business" has their season coming. Just hold on a little while.

No comments: