Friday, June 13, 2008

My New Crown

For the summer I have decided to try something different with my hair. I've decided to get it braided. I grappled (for weeks) with what kind of style I would get and who I would get to do it. Once I decided what I wanted and who was going to do it, I had to then find out what was required to get the style. K (the lady that braided my hair and also does my cousin's hair) told me that I was going to need 2 packs of Yaki 100% Human Hair. I almost fell back when the man in the beauty supply shop told me the hair would cost me $49.99 a pack! But since I was dealing with my hair, I absorbed the shock and plunked down the $106. I got a darker version of the bundle pictured below.

I interviewed every person (their mother, my cousin, and the neighbor) who I have ever seen with their hair braided. I wanted to know everything, even though I already did my own research online. How long does it take to have your hair braided? How long does it last? What kind of shampoo will I need to wash my hair? Does the process hurt? What should I be aware of? After arming myself with all the info I thought I needed...I took the plunge.

Yesterday was the day. K started braiding my hair at 8:15 am and she finished at 2:45 pm. I didn't use all of the hair she made me buy, but I don't have enough left over to return what I didn't use. When she was done I thought I might have needed a Tylenol, but I resisted. I don't know if I like it yet. Is that bad? I have it styled like the model in the picture.

No comments: