Saturday, August 2, 2008

Liberdade


In Portuguese it means "freedom". Liberdade (pronounced: Li-ber-dad-gee) is in Sao Paulo, Brazil and it is the largest Japanese community (in the world) outside of Japan. It reminds me of Chinatown in DC and New York. I really got mixed up, however, because everything was in Japanese and Portuguese (oh boy). Thank God I am great at pointing and nodding 'yes' and 'no'. I also think I have a nice smile.

I went to Liberdade at my hosts suggestion. They know that I am into street markets (of all kinds). Liberdade closes its main street on Saturdays and Sundays and holds a street market. Vendors sell until whatever they have (everything from fresh fruit, jewelry to kabobs) is all gone.

On a funny note....

I didn't venture inside to see if the #1 was the same. The line was much to long.



No comments: