Thursday, July 31, 2008

Good Eats


It's called Feijoada and I ate it yesterday (for the second time since arriving in Brazil). Feijoada is the Brazilian national dish. It is so good. It is served on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons in homes and every restaurant (from the hole in the wall to the 5 star) across Brazil. So far I have figured out that eating Feijoada on Saturdays is better. It is better because you have the afternoon to sleep it off. Maybe I shouldn't have written that last part.

According to Brazilian history, Feijoada is a dish that was introduced to Brazil by African slaves. Slaves use to take leftover (scrap) pieces of their owners' pork and other meats and would stew it with black beans. It is served with rice, kale (or collard greens), plantains, roasted manioc flour, and oranges. You are supposed to have Caipirinha (limes, sugar, and sugar cane brandy over ice) or beer when you have Feijoada. I chose the former, as I am not a beer drinker.

I am sure that this dish is fattening. Anything that tastes this good usually is.

Note to self: In the morning run an extra mile to make up for the good eats.

No comments: