Monday, January 19, 2009

National Day of Service

Colin Powell has made his post Secretary of State gig a mission to turn Martin Luther King, Jr. Day not only a day of reflection, but a day of service. I love the idea. Martin Luther King served the country, albeit in a non-traditional fashion, and did so with no expectation of getting anything in return. My personal observation is that too much of what service has turned into today is not 'how can I help?', but 'how can I help and get the most people to see me doing it?'

As America gets ready for the inauguration of a new president, I hope that my fellow citizens takes the realization of Dr. King's dreams as an opportunity to serve someone. I'm heading out to rake my elderly neighbor's yard.

Now as promised, the next 6 locals in the 1000 Places to See Before You Die series...

Jan. 12 - The Red Sea, Egypt and Israel
Jan. 13 - The Strip, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Jan. 14 - Punta Del Este, Uruguay
Jan. 15 - Bali, Indonesia
Jan. 16 - Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada
Jan. 17 & 18 - English Harbour, Antigua

This list tells me I better get going. I've walked, run, and driven up and down Vegas' most famous Boulevard. I've done so more times than I would like to admit and I have plans to return this upcoming spring.

No comments: