Sunday, January 27, 2008

Camelot Comes Back to the Campaign

My Sunday routine is to go to Pilates and then return home. Then I make a pot of coffee and read the Sunday NY Times. I usually read the Arts section, then Style, followed by Travel. If I have more coffee left then I read the Health and then Opinion. I love The Post & The Sun, but the NY Times is my weekend mental treat.

I guess you can surmise that I had coffee left to drink this morning.

I must admit that when I saw the title "A President Like My Father", my immediate response (in my most cynical voice) was "here we go. What does this woman have to say about the campaign?" I was actually going to skip it all together. Then my eye caught this:

"Sometimes it takes a while to recognize that someone has a special ability to get us to believe in ourselves, to tie that belief to our highest ideals and imagine that together we can do great things. In those rare moments, when such a person comes along, we need to put aside our plans and reach for what we know is possible."

The talk on the news tonight is whether Caroline's endorsement will help or hurt Obama. Truthfully, I don't think it matters. I think Caroline just wanted the rest of the world to know (if they haven't already caught on) that change - real change; life altering and foundation crumbling change is possible. Change that isn't even conceivable is within our reach. Believe.

You can read Caroline Kennedy's OP-ED here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27kennedy.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obama being in the race (a real contender) has everyone paying attention. Good for all of us! I think we've been sleep walking for a while or at the very least feeling disheartened - with crazy ass Bush sitting on his thrown. Is it January 2009 yet?