Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I was Born in Bahia

In my former life. No, truly. How else can I explain how I know the culture, feel a deep routed connection to the people, and know the land, except to say that I've been here before? Anyone who has done any traveling knows what it is like being in a new place. They know the feeling of nervous excitement. They know the anticipation of getting lost, asking for directions, having high hopes, having pleasant surprises, and dashed expectations. They know the feeling of being at home (in the hotel) for the time being. Multiply all of that times 100 if there is a language barrier.

I have had none of those feelings since my arrival in Salvador. That discovery has been fascinating in the sense that I am not bothered by it. Fascinating in the sense that it is almost as if I already knew my reaction to Bahia would be this way. I am totally OK (after I got over being weirded out about my feelings of 'I've been here before') with just letting my soul figure out where I am going. I am OK with just exploring and discovering and knowing that I am OK here.

I am sure that the connection to Bahia is it's turbulent history, its food, its music, its struggles, its triumphs, its people, and my belief in its future.

My hosts have been truly gracious and have opened there home and hearts to me. Paula and Natto, I almost cannot fathom having to leave you. You are my family.

1 comment:

Michelle Sewell said...

I can't wait to see all the pictures!

Michelle
www.girlchildpress.com