Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day 2007

People who know me know that I deplore Christmas. I hate it like I hate the cellulite on my ass. I hate it like I hate cold french fries. I hate it like I hate snow. So you get that I hate Christmas, right? I guess it is all the 'have get presents'. Maybe it is all the "cheer" that seems to appear only during the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, but is absent for the rest of the year. I guess it is all the build up to "make the day magical" or whatever idiot feeling advertisers are selling the particular year. Maybe it is the fact that I have to spend all day with my immediate family, while secretly waiting for the "shoe to drop".

Today (you cant see, but I just knocked on my wood and glass coffee table) the shoe didn't drop. No really. I made the trek to my aunts house for breakfast, which turned into lunch and then finally dinner. I just sat around and chatted with my cousins, just like we used to when we were kids, before people got married, divorced, had kids, got jobs, got raises, purchased houses and got their own lives. No presents, no pomp and circumstance. Just us, food, laughter, and connection.

We shared the latest family gossip. We endured my father's "stories and deep revelations" (all told and listened to before, but accepted as "brand new" by all of us). We shared what was new in our lives since the last time we talked (we had A LOT to share). We each bounced around the ideas we had in mind for the directions our individual lives might take in the new year.

I was reminded of a bunch today, I am not sure how or why I forgot:

1. My aunt is a much better cook than my mom and dad (or me for that matter).
2. My cousin Michelle is mad talented, but she took time out to remind us all that we were just as talented as she was.
3. My cousin Amanda can bake and should really consider opening some sort of business. However she needs to know that I won't patronize her personally because I'd be fat again.
4. My father is a simple man, but he makes things more complicated than they need to be. He doesn't mean to but.... (this is another blog entry).
5. My entire family is "mad" funny (in all the ways you think mad), but we are also very fortunate and very blessed.
6. I don't hate Christmas (this year) as much as I thought I did.
7. My cousin Pebble's daughter is really very skinny, but then again so was her mother.
8. I can do whatever I dream that I can do. I was reminded of that while eating vegetable dip.
9. The name of the "funk" my mother has around this time every year is called Seasonal Depressive Disorder (or something like that).
10. Things don't have to be big to be the best. Today was indeed a great example.

HOW COOL IS ALL OF THAT?!? Very.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cousin,

I have no idea why people are not reading this wonderful blog. I will have to let folks know it exist. You are insight and funny -"I hate Christmas like the cellulite on my ass."

I am supposed to be working on a project this morning but now I will have to carve out time to read your archive!

I am very glad we got a chance to have each other all day. Reading your blog reminded me that the cousins always had a great time together. I do miss that part of our childhood. All of us packed up in one room: laughing, farting (mostly Daniel), and trying to figure out what our crazy parents were talking about in the other room.

We need to create our "new normal" - hanging out as adults. Now that you have moved to the back of the world with mommy (why can't yall black people live in a proper distance from the rest of the world?) I hope to see you more often. What are you doing on Saturday? I told Debyann I might go to a brunch with her.

Talk to you soon and I love the music selections!!
Love, Michelle

P.S. check out the blog that your kids are always referencing - www.girlchildpress.com/blog.html

Anonymous said...

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). And it's real and people really find themselves crippled by this mood disorder - especially during the winter months.

I hope aunty takes care of herself.

Michelle
taking off my social worker's hat.